XERQ is disrupting the forum experience,
one ridiculous topic at a time.

By clicking this button, you agree to XERQ's Terms of Service
Writing
Views
Replies

EDU: Thread Ignore List - Chrome and Firefox

Disclaimer and request for the continued success of the forum:
      First, how you choose to use this is your choice. I'm not introducing it for any particular purpose, other than to address something several people have brought up. And I know you can use this to block stickies, but that's not really the point. You might not like them, but paid stickies are one way this forum is going to keep growing and stay afloat. I know this request probably doesn't mean a damn thing to most of you, but please just leave the stickies alone. Use this to ignore crew threads, sports threads, gun threads, whatever the fuck you want. But the forum needs support from its users and from advertisers, and we all want this forum to thrive, right? That's why we all came from OT or wherever else, and that's why we stayed. We like this place, and we want it to succeed. So just think about that when you're selecting which threads to ignore.

So here we go.

OK, so I know a bunch of people have wanted something like this, a way to ignore specific threads. Luckily there's a simple solution. Follow these easy steps and you'll be ignoring threads in no time.

Chrome and Firefox Instructions Using Adblock - This is the easiest method.
      1. Install Adblock or Adblock Plus. You probably already have this, but search if you don't.
      2. Go to Options, Manually Edit Filters
      3. Add a custom filter with this format: "xerq.net##li#thread_[THREAD_ID]"
        Replace the [THREAD_ID] with whatever the thread ID # is, such as "xerq.net##li#thread_5243" to ignore the Amazon thread (sorry, Amazon crew, just an easy example).
        The thread ID # can be found in the URL when you visit the thread, it's the number immediately following "showthread.php?" (for example: http://www.xerq.net/showthread.php?18435 - the thread ID is 18435)
      4. Click Save
      5. Enjoy your new IL!

If you use Adblock for this, please also add the following tags to the custom filters:
      @@||cdn.viglink.com$domain=xerq.net
      @@||clicky.com/$document=xerq.net
      @@||www.chartbeat.com/demo$document=xerq.net
      @@||www.quantcast.com/$document=xerq.net
      @@||www.google.com/analytics$document=xerq.net
      @@||viglink.com$domain=xerq.net

These are tools Xerq uses. Some are statistical tracking, some are the referral link things he mentioned before (I think). These were specifically requested by Xerq for people using Adblock.

Chrome Only Instructions using Stylebot (this is the first method I found, which is why it's here, and why the directions are longer)
      Originally posted by Member

That's all there is to it. Only takes a couple minutes, and you can modify it whenever you want.
      Last edited by Secret Agent Man; 02-15-2013 at 09:45 AM.

This member's privacy settings prevent this post from being visible to guests.

Oh shit, I just had an idea... You might be able to do the same thing with Adblock in Firefox...

I'll look into it and post an update if I figure it out.

Isn't it sort of shitty towards this place for members to ignore the advertisers that make the place tick?
    It's Rumbaar what do you expect.

I hop between my tablet, my laptop, and my phone. Sometimes chrome, sometimes tapatalk. Either way there are some things that need to be fixed around here but popularizing a thread on how to reduce the effectiveness of advertisers seems a little shitty.
    I never said anything about hiding stickies, and I'm not hiding any of them actually. This was meant for people who don't like seeing all the crew threads or sports threads or whatever else. How you use this information is up to you.

@XERQ, bro, if you're worried people will abuse it and hide all the paid stickies, feel free to delete this.

Xerq, make me a mod and:

- I'll delete the thread.
    - Perma everyone involved.
    - Round up a few other miscreants and perma them too just to show that I'm not to be trifled with.

I await your PM.
    You're involved in this thread. Will you perma yourself?

thanks for this

thanks for this
    No prob, bro.

thank you

Thanks bro

• New Topic Quick Reply
    SSD Nodes

Trademarks property of their respective owners. Comments owned by the poster. Site is funded by advertising, member subscriptions, and shopping affiliate links.
    Copyright © 2015 XERQ. All rights reserved.
    XERQ® is a registered trademark.