and Join XERQ today

XERQ is disrupting the forum experience,
one ridiculous topic at a time.

By clicking this button, you agree to XERQ's Terms of Service
Writing
Views
Replies

Keggle DIY another for homebrewers

Keggles are great cheap brewpots and really easy to make with basic tools. There are a number of different options you can put on your keggle but i'll show you the basics.

Start out with a standard keg

You want to take a screwdriver or something firm to press on the ball to relieve pressure from the keg. You may get splashed with beer.

Once you've relieved the pressure you're going to want to remove the retaining ring that holds the spear in the keg. Find the lip in the ring and knock your screwdriver into it.

Pry along the ring and it will slowly work out of the lip.

Once you've removed the ring, you want to go ahead and turn the spear and line up the notches.

Then voila! Out comes the spear.

Next you want to verify that you have a hole or two in the rim on the top and bottom of the keg. If you don't have a hole like this(in all likelihood you will) drill one, you aren't going to hurt anything. It's sole purpose is to give it a hole to breath. There are stories of guys heating kegs and the rims exploding.

Now comes the fun part, you'll need a cutting wheel for this portion, you could probably do it with a reciprocating saw too, but wizard wheel is easiest. Take one of your homebrew buckets and throw it on the top and center it on the keg and trace. Homebrew buckets are 12" across and make a perfect sized hole. Cut your hole like so.

Make sure you grind/sand down the edges until smooth because it'll be quite sharp.
      Next you'll make your hole for your ball valve/bulkhead, i chose to use a 7/8" hole saw even though a lot of the DIY's recommend a step bit. The step bit is only handy if you're making all different size holes. We're not, so a hole saw is cheaper, and easier.

Go up a few inches from the weld where the walls are straight on both sides as it will make it and easier surface to mount your bulkhead to.

Pick your desired bulkhead/ball valve combo, install it and you're ready to rock and roll

Enjoy your new keggle and brew away!

nice work

Originally posted by Member
      nice work
      I have to build a bigger mash tun soon, maybe i'll throw together a DIY on how to build a mash tun /copper manifold for those wanting to get into all-grain. Also, don't be confused by the last pic, it's my other keggle i use for heating mash water. Note the sight tube.

Do you want to use some of my pics where I show the angle grinder + cutting wheel (to cut the top off the keggles)

I used a 2" schedule 80 piece of PVC (which fit right in the spout after removal)

get to grinding, working in a circular motion.

added a hop screen + 1/2 ball 3 piece ball valve.

Some reason I don't have any pics of my false bottom of my mash tun.

I used a 2" schedule 80 piece of PVC (which fit right in the spout after removal)

get to grinding, working in a circular motion.

added a hop screen + 1/2 ball 3 piece ball valve.

Some reason I don't have any pics of my false bottom of my mash tun.
      Thanks broski. I did mine freehand

Im gonna take a pic of the setup when i get home tonight. Ball valve + side dip tube + camlocks

atta boy

atta boy
      Yeah man, the setup is so much easier now with the pump. Everything is just clean transferred hoppy pale ale and chocolate stout yesterday

I like this.

I like this.
      i've got lots of cool homebrew toys.

i thought a keggle when when you squeezed the muscle between your balls and asshole

i thought a keggle when when you squeezed the muscle between your balls and asshole
      That's a kegel

SSD Nodes

Trademarks property of their respective owners. Comments owned by the poster. Site is funded by advertising, member subscriptions, and shopping affiliate links.
    Copyright © 2015 XERQ. All rights reserved.
    XERQ® is a registered trademark.