By clicking this button, you agree to XERQ's Terms of Service
Writing
Views
Replies
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  • Latest image
    There are 4 images in this thread

Replacing Featured w/ Hot Threads v.dat algorithm

Featured Threads were broken and always relied on humans to promote content. We're replacing it with "Hot" Threads, automatically ranked based on posts, views, and other engagement numbers, rather than votes. A new version may include the ability to vote. As the age of a thread increases, its rank will decrease until it falls off the front page, leaving room for newer threads.

The new homepage shows the latest trending topics at any given time, making it even easier to find good content:

http://www.xerq.net/cmps_index.php?pageid=hot-threads

This is in BETA, the algorithm is still "learning" and will be tweaked over time. Right now it's excluding all threads below a certain number of posts so that really new stuff doesn't show up on the front page. This may be changed. Also, it opens new links in the same window rather than a new one.

Feel free to send me your feedback. Even though this is geared more towards new members and making it easier for them to find good content, it can still benefit from your feedback.
      Last edited by XERQ; 07-25-2013 at 01:17 PM.

Interesting. I always figured the hot threads were the one at the very top anyways.

This member's privacy settings prevent this post from being visible to guests.

It appears as though you may have a few outstanding notifications. You should probably check your shit, bro.

@XERQ you have a lot of notifications bro

What's the grand prize for retiring the bauce of featured threads?

Originally posted by Member
      What's the grand prize for retiring the bauce of featured threads?
      I move all of your threads to fucking & furniture

Dafuq is that?

Dem notifikashions...

stop spamming me

stop spamming me
      You’re receiving this short email because you have a XERQ account. Not interested? There’s an unsubscribe link below.

Dafuq is that?
      the sisterhood of the traveling xerqs.

You’re receiving this short email because you have a XERQ account. Not interested? There’s an unsubscribe link below.

But then you'll never email me

now my job has been made redundant

Fired crew

Fired crew
      Not fired. Replaced by robots. It's called "progress"

Not fired. Replaced by robots. It's called "progress"
      we're out for your job now, buddy

How long until this algorithm becomes self aware?

How long until this algorithm becomes self aware?
      It already is.

We've been beta testing it as a bot that makes reposts of hot/popular threads. You might have seen it posting around here. We call it @'47 Knucklehead

gonna be sweet when it just features all the threads full of double posts since no one ever bothered to fix those

gonna be sweet when it just features all the threads full of double posts since no one ever bothered to fix those
      Wasn't a matter of not bothering, that shit has just turned out to be nigh on impossible for our guys to figure out. Lots of time/effort went in to getting that shit fixed, but with the decision to move off of vBulletin as a platform, it became less of a priority

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    SSD Nodes

Trademarks property of their respective owners. Comments owned by the poster. Site is funded by advertising, member subscriptions, and shopping affiliate links.
    Copyright © 2015 XERQ. All rights reserved.
    XERQ® is a registered trademark.